Skip to main content

Welcome to the Lake Shore Chapel

The Little Church in the Woods!

Welcome to the Chapel
About the Chapel
Member Login
Schedule of Ministers
Donate to the Chapel
Sunday School
Weddings and Events
The Chapel in the News
Chapel Board
Contact Us
Guest Book
About the Chapel
The Lake Shore Chapel is located on Lake Shore Dr. at the corner of Lake Shore and Campbell Road in Saugatuck, Michigan. 




You can find us using GPS, Google Maps, Mapquest, etc. by inputting the intersection of 
Lake Shore Dr. and Campbell Rd. in Douglas, MI.


Services are held every Sunday during the months of July and August.  We are a non-denominational congregation who invite different ministers from around the country each week to lead us in worship.  Chapel begins at 10:00 AM.  Children who wish to, leave for Sunday School in the Children's Chapel during the first part of the service.  All who wish to worship at our special summer church are welcome to attend.

History of the Chapel

A dozen cottages had been built along the lakeshore by 1900 and to reach the village churches on foot was not easy.  Accordingly, the summer community accepted the offer from one of the centrally located owners to hold a Sabbath Meeting at their cottage.  The dwelling next door served as a place to which the young children could retire for their lesson during the main portion of the service.

No collection was taken, but the children continued to save their pennies.  Not knowing what to do with them, someone suggested with a laugh, "Save them to build a Chapel."  And this was done.

Lake Shore Chapel was erected, and dedicated on July 17, 1904.  The early service was like an adult Sunday School as frequently one of the members of the group discussed the International Sunday School lesson for the day and six or seven hymns were sung.  Ministers from along the shore or at Camp Gray preached, but the President presided.

As the mode of travel changed from boat, horse, and interurban to automobile and airplane, the area from which the ministers could be invited greatly increased.  Pastors for the entire season could be selected.  The present form of service was adopted to meet the needs of Lake Shore Chapel, which has no connection with any religious denomination.  The children, who used to retire to the back of the Chapel or to a nearby dune or porch, now go to the Children's Chapel which is a memorial to one of the former children.  The bell and bell tower, the plantings around the Chapel and Children's Chapel, the piano, flower vases, Friendship Porch, and Memorial Garden and bench are also memorials to former members of the community.  The flag and the Bible used at the dedication have been preserved.

In 1997, the Lake Shore Chapel was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.